Monday, November 24, 2014

Re-use Old, Scratched Up CDs/DVDs

DVD/CD Coasters

If you are anything like my husband, then you probably hold on to old DVDs from years ago that are so scratched up they will never again play. I wanted to use some of these up. Here is my idea on how to put some to use.


Here's an old DVD that doesn't play.


I traced around the DVD on some green felt I had lying around. You can get felt at Walmart for like 27 cents a sheet.


After tracing it just cut it out. Including the little circle in the middle.


Now just glue it onto the backside of the DVD. I used my hot glue gun and it worked well.


There it is. Now you have a coaster that I think would work really well in a mancave or bar area. Oooh, or they could be used for some kind of movie or awards party. Or if you have kids DVDs you could make them for them (my daughters would go ape poop for a Frozen coaster, but luckily that DVD is not scratched up...yet). Ok, now on to the other DVD project...(can someone please get me a drink??)

There are two "DVD coasters" in this little Christmas display. Let's see how to make them shall we?


Well, you begin by doing the steps to attach felt to the bottom, as in the above pictures. Then I just  used regular white acrylic paint and a brush to paint over it.


Suddenly, a light bulb went off, and I realized it made more sense to paint the silver side of the DVD instead of trying to cover up the existing picture on the top side. This way you will need less coats of paint to cover it up. I needed only two.



I used a red sharpie marker to make stripes on the painted DVD.


Another "amazing" design using the green sharpie. I would love people with better artistic talents to share with me if you make any. But that's all there is to it.


One is being used a Christmas coaster, the other a candle holder-majiggy. Yay!!

                                                                           God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment